Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fabric Diet Fail

It's only Week 3 of the Fabric Diet and I kinda failed... but it was a complete win really!  My sisters came up to Singapore to visit and we HAD TO include a visit to the open-air fabric markets at Chinatown.

About 6 months ago I purchased a fat quarter bundle of the Moda Odyssea fabric, and while we were at Chinatown I found the perfect backing fabric... 4.2 metres of an Odyssea home-dec weight fabric. And it was pretty cheap. And I think its actually an out of print fabric (though I may be wrong). So I had to buy it (sorry diet).

So in my spare minutes this week, I've been cutting out 8.5" x 10.5" rectangles from some of the fat quarters (not even half way yet... cutting is so depressingly slow). I'll eventually end up with 80 rectangles to make an 80" square quilt.

Its going to be a play quilt for James to go over the floor tiles we bought him for Christmas.  At the moment I throw a whole selection of smaller quilts over them, but he still manages to scratch away at the tiles!

With the heavier backing fabric, it will also be a fantastic picnic and beach quilt.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Birdie Stitches Block of the Month

I've joined in!  Each month of 2011, there will be a new stitchery design to do.

Block 1 completed:

And these are the fabrics I've chosen... one for each of the 12 blocks (although I'll probably make some changes as the year goes by):

Not exactly sure what I'll use the finished quilt for... but its a great chance to hone my stitching skills and learn a bit more about using Flickr.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Liberty Coasters

2010 was a very busy year... moving country, setting up a new company, and having a baby.  I got a little behind on things... so in an effort to catch up towards the end of the year, I finally finished my mum's Mothers' Day present (yep... shoulda been out in May).

I made these coasters out of four different Liberty prints using this tutorial.  I then added a stitch around the coasters a 1/4" from the edge once I'd turned them out the correct way.

The fronts:

 And the backs:

So pretty!  I want to make another set at some stage using the leftover fabric from the cushions I made last year.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lots to do this year...

I was looking through all my 2010 posts and realised I still have a lot of projects to finish:
  • monsters quilt
  • knitted toys
  • placemats
  • wheels quilt
  • ring stackers
And then there's another couple of projects I've started that haven't even made it to my blog yet:
  • hexagon quilt
  • shirred dress
And then there's the ginormous list of projects in my head that I want to do!!!!

So... I've decided to join in with the 8 week Fabric Diet and concentrate on getting my unfinished projects finished :)

Hmmm, 8 weeks is a long time...